Enhance Your Wellness from Home with Online Physiotherapy (Telehealth)
We know not everyone has the capacity or convenience to access high quality health care when they need it most. To ensure everyone has the ability to seek help when pain and movement restrictions arise, Therapia proudly offers online Physiotherapy services to all of our clients, both in Adelaide, around Australia and even internationally.
Online consultations are an effective way to seek the help of an expert physiotherapist to gain clarity, guidance and answers to your questions necessary for you to take control of your movement and pain. All from the comfort of your own home!
Why you should get excited about online physio!
- Recent research shows that online Physiotherapy consults are a viable alternative to in person consults and are extremely effective for people who have musculoskeletal injuries or pain. This means you can still receive the same long term outcomes for a wide range of conditions compared to people who attend in person.
- As clinicians, we fully appreciate the value of hands-on treatment in the acute phase of rehab but we know where the real long term change comes from. YOU!This is why we are so excited to shift emphasis away from therapist reliance to client empowerment as we support your active rehab journey!
- Every physio session ends with ‘Home Exercises’, right? Imagine home much more effective and empowering this program will be when delivered in the safety and convenience of your home and with your specific equipment.
- Get ready to see your physio help you in creative ways…! We are expanding the way physio consultation and treatment are delivered in a way that will be easier than ever before to follow!
Join the people seeking our help from the comfort of their own home. Let us help you get past pain, move without limitation and be beyond better via an online physio consult today.
Online physiotherapy consults are ideal for people who...
- Would like to save time, avoid dealing with traffic and have the convenience of expert healthcare in their own home.
- Are unable to attend the clinic location due to extenuating circumstances.
- Would like access to the best physiotherapists who may not be available in their local area.
- Have restrictions, such as injury or disability, which prevent them from travelling.
- Have been given a diagnosis, but would like an expert second opinion.
- Live overseas or in a rural or remote area.
- Are in the Subacute phase of their rehab.
- Are in the Maintenance phase of rehab.
- Are self-isolating due to a weakened immune system or fall under the ‘vulnerable persons’ category.
- People who have close interactions with ‘vulnerable persons’.
The look of a ‘typical’ online Physiotherapy consultation
An online consultation looks and feels very similar to a face-to-face consultation and is structured in the same four steps.
- Your physio will start by asking you all the appropriate questions to get an in-depth understanding of your presentation and symptoms.
- This will be followed by your physio demonstrating certain movements which they will ask you to repeat in order to identify how well you are ‘moving’ and where the potential problems might lie in the ‘movement pattern’.
- A discussion on the potential diagnosis and the best physiotherapy treatment for your specific rehab journey will follow the assessment.
- A treatment will then be delivered which may involve:
- Releasing areas that have been identified as ‘stiff’ or ‘restricted’ with personalised techniques.
- Strengthening of the areas/muscles that are weak through a customised exercise program.
- Exercise program delivered to your mailbox with instructional videos and resources to conveniently support your home program for the entire duration of your rehab.
- Relevant advice on pain and symptom management is given.
- Recommendations of products to boost your recovery (supplements, splints, braces etc).
- An ongoing direct communication channel with your physio.
Getting ready for an online consultation
- Fill out an online health screening form for confirmation that your specific issue is suitable for an online consultation and to help your physio prepare for your session.
- Prepare a quiet area with enough room to complete basic movements and exercise.
- Ensure you have the appropriate systems on your device for the online physio consultation (See ‘Technology you will need’ below)
- Think about the camera angle during the call as you will be asked to perform movements.
- Ensure you have appropriate space to perform relevant movements.
- Wear comfortable clothes that allow freedom of movement.
- It is important that you are free to move and your hands are free to move during the consultation so your device (computer, tablet or mobile) is positioned securely where you don’t have to hold it.
How it works
Your private and individual sessions are conducted using Cliniko (health practice management system) and Physitrack (exercise prescription resource). You will get an email/sms confirming the appointment time and date, within this message will be a link to your video consultation page.
You will need to click this link for the consultation to commence.
Advantages of using Physitrack/PhysiApp:
- Thousands of exercise videos within its library.
- Custom videos filmed by your physio for your presentation.
- Direct communication channel with your physio for your entire rehab journey.
- Your physio can track your progress and make necessary adjustments/progressions to your program between sessions.
We recommend our clients download and install the Physitrack app prior to the session (but it is not a must).
You can download the physiapp here: https://www.physitrack.com/?lang=en-AU
Technology you will need
Video consultation requires the use of one of the following;
- desktop computer with a camera/webcam
Have reliable web browser on your device, ideally Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari.
Expected outcomes from an online Physiotherapy consultation
- What’s wrong – the likely diagnosis.
- Advice and education about why it’s there – the root causes of your symptoms!
- What you can do to help it.
- What you need to amend or modify to speed up your recovery.
- Prescription of an individualised plan to achieve your goals and get you past pain, moving without limitation and feeling great!
- Commencement of a specific active rehabilitation program for your recovery.
- Above all, full control over your rehab, recovery and results – getting back to what you love doing the most!
Injuries and conditions appropriate for an online Physiotherapy consultation
We’ve helped many people get relief and move better than ever, without the touch of a finger! The following are conditions we treat regularly via online physio consults:
- Lower back pain – disc bulges, muscle spasm and sciatic nerve issues
- Neck pain – disc herniation, cervical spondylosis, cervical pain, whiplash associated disorder
- Ankle pain – sprain, post fracture or surgical rehab, achilles tendinopathy, plantar fasciitis
- Knee pain – arthritis, tendon pain, bursitis and post surgical rehab
- Pregnancy related Back or Sacral Pain
- Postural issues
- Shoulder pain – bursitis, rotator cuff tears, impingement and post surgical rehab
- Elbow pain – tennis elbow, golfers elbow, nerve injuries, post fracture rehab
- Hip pain – hip bursitis, hip flexor pain, impingement and arthritis
- Chronic pain
- Chronic repetitive strain injuries (RSI)
- Muscle weakness
- Most work related or motor vehicle accident related injuries
- Various issues due to work station set-up – in the office or working from home
Frequently Asked Questions
How does payment work?
When booking online, you will be given the option to pay through a secure and efficient online payment portal.
Alternatively, if you choose to wait until later to complete the payment, we can send you a link that will take you directly to the online payment process.
If you are unable to do either of these things, you are able to call the clinic to make the booking, and make a payment over the phone in order to confirm the appointment.
There will also be an option in the future to complete private health claims and Medicare claims online. When this is up and running this will be integrated within the link that we send out following your appointment. You will be able to enter your details online and the claim will be instantly processed.
Is online physiotherapy health fund rebatable?
Online Physiotherapy consultations are supported by Medicare and several leading health funds. Please contact your health provider directly to confirm whether you are supported for online consultations prior to booking.
The APA (Australian Physiotherapy Association) and other health advocacy groups are currently working towards recognition and support of online consultations from all health providers.
For more information visit: Australian Physiotherapy Association website
What’s the cost of an online Physiotherapy consultation?
- Initial 45 minute consultation: $92
- Subsequent 30 minute consultations: $75
How do we communicate online?
We offer multiple channels of communication:
- Cliniko video consultation
- Direct email with your physio
- Communication with the admin team via email at email@example.com or phone 08 82215011 (during business hours).
But how can a physiotherapist treat me online?
Physiotherapy isn’t what it used to be! Gone are the days of laying on a bed session after session getting needles, soft tissue massage and sending you home with an exercise or two. Although this can be useful in the short term, the research shows that exercise in conjunction with education are the most effective forms of management for aches and pains the body experiences. Both of which can be done via guided instructions from your Physiotherapist with the use of online platforms.
How do I pay for my online physiotherapy consultation?
We require payment as a step of the online booking process or when booking over the phone prior to your consultation.
Can I claim medicare for online physio consults?
Yes, Medicare does offer rebates for online physiotherapy services. You will need a relevant referral from your GP to be able to claim your online physio consults through medicare.
Can I still attend group exercise classes?
Here at Therapia we have recently introduced an exciting new initiative, Online Exercise Classes! These classes will be run through Zoom, an online conferencing tool, as a combination of Pilates, Yoga, Physio stretches and strengthening exercises. We are all really excited about the implementation of these classes, particularly due to the success and positive feedback we have already received with our online physio consultations! The process will be completely online, meaning you can book, pay, and join the classes all from the safety and comfort of your own home!
Our experienced physiotherapists from Adelaide clinic are happy to give you a call to discuss how you can be helped.
Visit Therapia Physio Adelaide for expert, personalized care in South Australia.